Skip to main content

If you or someone you know is in immediate physical danger phone 111 

Through calling 111 you can reach the police, the fire service and ambulances. You can text 111 if you are hearing or speech impaired and would like to use this service. 

Register for 111 text here (external link)

The police will help in situations like if these is a serious risk to a life or property, if someone is in danger, or if there has just been a crime. If it's not quite an emergency but you need the police, call 105.

The fire service will help if there is a fire, gas leak or storm danger. 

An ambulance will help in medical emergencies like where there is difficulty breathing, chest pain, someone unconscious, and severe pain or bleeding.

National emergency support for disabled people

Our National Emergency Management Agency (Civil Defence) service has support services specifically for our community.

You can build a plan for a natural disaster, pandemic or other emergency which might affect you. 

They take you through how to build a support network, what supplies you need and things to think about.  Civil Defence also have specific plans for if you are hearing impaired, vision impaired or require a disability assist dog. 

Get organised for an emergency through Civil Defence's website (external link)

Emergency health support

If you don't need to call an ambulance at 111 but you do need emergency care. You can visit your closest emergency health department. 

Find your nearest hospital emergency department on Healthpoint  (external link)

Emergency mental health support

Visit the tools and resources available on our mental wellbeing page. 

Find mental wellbeing supports at this link

Find more information about emergency preparedness for our disability community on the Whaikaha Ministry of Disabled People website.  (external link)

Last updated on Wednesday, 15 May 2024

Was this page helpful?