Skip to main content

You might be able to get funding towards the cost of equipment, or to have it loaned to you on a long-term basis. 

If you've had an injury

ACC may provide or pay for aids and equipment you need to recover from an injury, or help with your daily tasks. To be eligible, you’ll need to have a claim that is covered by ACC.

Visit ACC’s website to find out about the types of aids and equipment it provides, and how to apply.

Information on the ACC website about getting aids and equipment (external link)

If your disability is not due to an injury

Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People provides equipment for people who have a physical, intellectual, sensory (vision or hearing), or age-related disability that is not due to an injury covered by ACC. Whaikaha owns the equipment and loans it to you it for as long as you need it.

You'll need to have an assessment with an EMS assessor to find out if you're eligible.

EMS assessors are usually occupational therapists, physiotherapists, speech-language therapists, optometrists, or audiologists.

There is a limit to what Whaikaha can offer so it’s important to read about what you could be entitled to and other options that are available to you.

To get an assessment organised, contact Enable New Zealand who will put you in touch with an assessor in your area.

Contact Enable New Zealand (external link)

Check out the customer journey with Enable New Zealand (PDF, 569 KB)

Find out what types of equipment are available

Self-funding options

If you can't get funding for the equipment you need, you may decide to self-fund.

Find out more about self-funding equipment

Last updated on Monday, 17 July 2023

Was this page helpful?