Skip to main content

To get support from ACC, you’ll need to see your doctor. If your doctor thinks you need time off work, they will:

  • send a medical certificate to ACC
  • fill out an ACC claim form for you (if another health professional, such as a physiotherapist, hasn’t already done this for you). 

ACC will let you know if your application has been accepted.

Visit ACC’s website to find out about:

  • getting paid if you can’t work
  • financial help if you have a permanent injury.

Find out more about financial support available from ACC on their website (external link)

How accident compensation works

The Community Law Manual helps Kiwis help themselves by providing legal information in plain language. Check out their guide to ACC, which covers these topics:

  • An overview of the ACC scheme
  • When you’re covered by ACC and when you’re not
  • Costs covered by ACC: Treatment, compensation and other support
  • Making a claim and dealing with ACC
  • Challenging an ACC decision
  • Resources (sensitive claims, complaints and appeals and support organisations).

Information about accident compensation from Community Law (external link)

Last updated on Thursday, 29 September 2022

Was this page helpful?