Skip to main content

Depending on your situation, either ACC, Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People, or Veterans’ Affairs may pay for home and community support services for you.

If you are caring for someone, you might be able to get carer support.

Support services you might need

These types of support services are available:

Personal care: Help to get out of bed, use the shower and toilet, get dressed, manage your medication or health care, or do rehabilitation exercises.

Equipment: To help you get around, do daily tasks, or stay safe.

Household support: Cleaning, laundry, shopping, meal preparation.

Special therapies: Physiotherapy, social worker support.

Carer support: Help for someone who lives with you or looks after you.

Respite care: To give your usual carer a break.

If your disability is due to an injury

Talk to your contact person at ACC. You may be able to get help with personal care, household tasks, rehabilitation treatments and getting out and about.

Information on ACC website about help at home after an injury (external link)

If you’re a veteran

You can get support to stay independent and safe in your own home if you have Qualifying Service.

Check your eligibility for the veteran's independence programme on the Veterans’ Affairs website (external link)

Or contact Veterans' Affairs New Zealand (external link)

If you have a long-term illness or disability

If you’re not eligible for help from ACC or Veterans’ Affairs, you may be able to get help through Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People or your district health board.

Contact your local Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) service. The NASC can help you to work out what help you need and see if you can get help from the government.

Learn more about NASCs and how to find one

Paying for home support services yourself

Visit the Home and Community Health Association website. You can find a list of members who provide home health services through New Zealand.

Services include personal care, household management, nursing treatment, and complex care for people with serious needs.

Find home health providers on the Home and Community Health Association website (external link)

Talking to support workers about how you want to receive support

The Health and Disability Commissioner (HDC) has put together a useful resource to help you talk to support workers about how you want to receive support.

Download ‘Personal Space: Support workers in your home’ from the HDC website (external link)

Last updated on Tuesday, 16 August 2022

Was this page helpful?