Skip to main content

If you have a disability due to an injury

ACC may provide funding if you need a modified vehicle as a direct result of an injury. Talk to your ACC contact person about your transport options and how to get the help you need.

Information on the ACC website about getting support with transport (external link)

If your disability is not due to an injury

Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People may fund a vehicle or vehicle modifications if you who have a long-term disability that isn’t covered by ACC.

You’ll need to see an occupational therapist (OT) for a vehicle or driving assessment. If you are eligible for funding the OT will apply to Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People for you.

To find an OT talk to your:

  • doctor or other health professional
  • district health board, or
  • needs assessment and service coordination service (NASC).

Information on the Ministry of Health website about vehicle modifications (external link)

If you’re a New Zealand Defence Force veteran

Veterans’ Affairs may be able to fund a vehicle modification through it’s Social Rehabilitation programme.

Visit the Veterans’ Affairs website to check if you're eligible for support (external link)

Other funding options

If you’re not eligible for funding from ACC, Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People, or Veterans’ Affairs, you still have options.

You might be able to apply to the NZ Lottery Grants Board for funding for a vehicle, vehicle modification, mobility scooter, or other piece of mobility equipment. Your local disability information centre can help you complete an application.

Information on the Community Matters website about Lottery Individuals with Disabilities fund (external link)

Search Firstport for disability information centres

Last updated on Friday, 8 March 2024

Was this page helpful?