Skip to main content

Small or large, shared or more independent, there are lots of supportive homes available to help you live life your way.

Supported living could mean having someone come into your home. It could mean moving into a home with several new friends and support people who come visit each day. It could mean a big shared home, like a retirement village, with support people always on site and a whole lot of other facilities too. 

Support in your own home

Community Residential Support Services are funded by Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People and allow people to live in a home-like environment with support available up to 24 hours a day.

Services are provided in a range of community settings such as small or large homes, groups of small homes or flats.

Visit the Whaikaha website to find out more about Community Residential Support Services (external link)

Work and Income have a residential support subsidy that can help fund help in your home. 

Visit Residential support subsidy (external link) page

The Government has a range of different options to support help in your own home. 

Visit the Help in your home (external link) page 

Sharing a home with permanent support 

Community housing is rental housing provided by registered community housing providers, rather than private landlords. Typically, they are not-for-profit groups that meet housing needs by offering emergency housing, affordable rentals, or home ownership assistance.

You'll often share a home with other members of the community and get support from a person permanently-based nearby. They're usually small and the support team do their best to place people with friends they'll get along with.

The Community Housing Association has a list of local community housing providers on their website.

Find your local community housing provider (external link)

Regionally-based alternative

If you're in in Auckland, Waikato, the Hutt, Otago and Southland regions you could use Choice in Community Living.

This is an alternative to residential services for disabled people and offers more choice and control over where you live, who you live with and how you are supported. It could be in home, shared home, flatting or a supported facility.

To use Choice in Community Living, you will need to live in one of the regions listed above and talk to you local Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) organisation. They will work with you and your family/whānau to see if Choice in Community Living is right for you.

Visit the Choice in Community Living page on the Whaikaha website. (external link)

Last updated on Tuesday, 2 April 2024

Was this page helpful?