Skip to main content

Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People has a fixed amount of available funding for disability support services, including equipment and housing modifications. The demand for these services is now higher than the available funding. This means you may not be able to have the equipment you need funded by the Government, or you may face a delay in receiving the funded equipment.

What other ways can I get the equipment I need?

If you’re not able to access the equipment you need through available Government funding, or you require the equipment sooner, you have the option to self-fund. You could also explore other funding options such as lottery grants and subsidies.

Talk to your assessor

Your assessor may be able to offer you advice on the best place to find the equipment that they recommend to you. They may also be able to help you find organisations that hire equipment out or allow you to trial pieces of equipment.

Can I buy pieces of equipment myself?

It may be easier for you to buy some pieces of equipment yourself that will make your life easier. These could be things like:

  • special cutlery
  • electric can openers
  • raisers for a chair or bed
  • long-handled hair brushes/combs
  • reachers
  • dressing aids
  • short grab rails
  • walking sticks
  • wheelchairs
  • walkers and rollators
  • commodes.

There are a number of shops and online stores that sell the type of equipment you may need. You could:

  • search for local disability equipment shops near you using a Google search
  • ask your local Disability Information Centre for help in sourcing equipment (some centres sell equipment themselves)
  • search Firstport’s Equipment Suppliers section.

Find your local Disability Information Centre

Search the Equipment Suppliers section

Can I test out equipment to see what works for me?

Some organisations or disability information centres have demonstration equipment that you can try out to see what would work best for you. 

Talk to your assessor or contact your local disability information centre for more information.

Find an Information Centre near you

Hire or rent disability equipment

Some disability centres hire and sell disability equipment. Or they can tell you about places in your area that sell, hire or loan disability equipment.

Find an Information Centre near you

Workplace equipment funding

The Modification Grant helps people with disabilities pay for workplace changes or equipment that makes it easier for them to stay in or get work. The Ministry of Social Development funds it.

Visit Work and Income's website to find out:

  • what the modification grant pays for
  • who can get the grant
  • how much you can get
  • how to apply for the grant.

Find out more about Modification Grants on the Work and Income website (external link)

Last updated on Wednesday, 10 August 2022

Was this page helpful?