Skip to main content

 Home modifications include things like:

  • handrails by steps, shower or toilet
  • wheelchair ramps or lifts
  • secure fencing, doors and windows for safety of children with challenging behaviours
  • doorway widening
  • handheld showers or wet area bathrooms.

If your disability is injury-related

ACC may help pay for changes needed to your home if you have a disability after an injury.

Talk to your contact person at ACC about your situation. They may refer you to an occupational therapist (OT) to assess your housing needs. The OT can help you request ACC funding if you're eligible. 

Contact ACC for more information (external link)

If your disability isn’t injury-related

Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People funds home modifications for eligible people who need changes to their home because of a disability.

You’ll need to see an occupational therapist (OT) who can assess your housing needs. If you’re eligible, the OT will apply to Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People for you.

Whaikaha might pay the full cost or make a payment towards the costs. It depends on costs and how much you earn or own. Find details on the Ministry of Health website, including how to find an OT.

Funding for housing modifications (external link)

If you’ve served in the New Zealand Defence Force

Veterans’ Affairs has two programmes that offer financial support for home modifications or adaptations. The Veterans’ Affairs website has more information.

If you need ramps or rails in your home

Find out about home adaptions under the Veterans' Independence Programme (external link)

If your home needs structural changes

Find about home modifications under the Social Rehabilitation Programme (external link)

Paying for home modifications yourself

If you decide to pay for your own home modifications it’s best to get advice and an assessment from a private occupational therapist (OT). 

To find a private OT you could:

  • do an internet search
  • talk to your local disability information centre
  • contact the association for occupational therapists.

Search Firstport for disability information centres

Go to Occupational Therapy New Zealand website (external link)

Planning for future needs when building a house

Thinking ahead when planning and designing a new home could mean you stay in your own home for longer when you are older.

Read the Building Research Association of New Zealand (BRANZ) guide to designing or altering houses for disabled people or older people. (external link)

Last updated on Thursday, 23 March 2023

Was this page helpful?