Skip to main content

If you have injury-related hearing loss

If you have hearing loss because of an accident or injury, ACC may fund your treatment and any equipment you need.

Talk to your health provider (doctor or audiologist) to see what help you might get through ACC.

If you have both injury-related hearing loss and non-injury related hearing loss, you might be able to get funding from both Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People and ACC.

Find an audiologist on the New Zealand Audiological Society website (external link)

Contact ACC for more information about hearing services (external link)

If you have NZDF service-related hearing loss

If you’re a New Zealand veteran with service-related hearing loss, Veterans’ Affairs may help you get hearing aids or appliances.

Information about hearing aids and appliances on Veterans' Affairs website (external link)

If your hearing loss isn’t injury related

Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People provides hearing services for children and adults with hearing loss not covered by ACC or Veterans’ Affairs. 

You may be eligible for some of these services:

  • Hearing therapy to manage hearing loss (16 years and over)
  • Hearing aids – free or subsidised
  • Assistive hearing and alerting equipment
  • Cochlear implants for children and adults with severe hearing loss

Learn more about funded hearing services on the Ministry of Health website (external link)

You will need to be assessed by either an approved hearing aid assessor or hearing equipment assessor to receive funding. Visit the New Zealand Audiological Society website to find an approved assessor. If you're eligible for funding, the assessor will make a claim on your behalf.

Find your nearest audiologist or audiometrist  (external link)

Hearing therapy

If you’re over 16 years old and have trouble hearing, you may be able to get access to hearing therapy for free. A hearing therapist assists people to manage their hearing loss in their everyday lives including home, work and social situations. Your Way | Kia Roha currently provides this service on behalf of Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People.

Find your nearest hearing therapist on the Your Way Kia | Roha website (external link)

Cochlear implants

A cochlear implant is a surgically implanted electronic device that provides a sense of sound to a person who is hard of hearing or deaf.

Visit the Ministry of Health website to find out who can get government funded cochlear implants and how they are provided. (external link)

Assistive Technology (AT)

AT is specialised equipment and technology that students with additional needs use in class to increase or improve their ability to participate and learn.

Visit the Ministry of Education website more information about accessing AT (external link)

Alerting or assistive hearing equipment

To get funding for this type of equipment you will need to have an assessment with an audiologist, hearing therapist or Deaf Aotearoa Service Coordinator. They must be an approved assessor for Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People for hearing equipment (hearing assistive technology).

The assessor may make an application for funding through the Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People Equipment and Modification Services.

Find out more about financial support available for disability equipment

Other funding options

If you can't get funding from ACC, Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People, or Veterans' Affairs, you may be able to get help through one of the following:

NFD Hearing Aid Fund (external link)

Workbridge Job Support Funds (external link)

Lottery Individuals with Disabilities Grants (external link)

Work and Income's disability allowance (external link)

Work and Income's child disability allowance (external link)

Last updated on Thursday, 13 April 2023

Was this page helpful?