Skip to main content

When it comes to finding the right home for you, availability can be a challenge, but sometimes it's about knowing what the right door to knock on is. 

Kāinga Ora- Homes and Communities

Kāinga Ora is a government agency that provides government-owned housing in New Zealand. It's sometimes called state or public housing.

They provide tenancy services to about 187,000 people in around 65,000 government owned homes. They also provide supports to help kiwi's buy their first home. 

Visit our page on Kāinga Ora to learn more.

Support available from Kāinga Ora

Community housing

Community housing is rental housing provided by registered community housing providers (CHPs), rather than private landlords.  These are often funded by Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People. Typically, CHPs are not-for-profit groups that meet housing needs by offering emergency housing, affordable rentals, or home ownership assistance.

The Community Housing Association has a list of local community housing providers on their website.

Find your local community housing provider (external link)

Council housing

Some city and district councils provide their own rental housing for their local community. These are often set up to provide housing for people who aren’t covered by other providers, like Kāinga Ora or Whaikaha. 

Southland Visit Southland District Council Community Housing  (external link)
Otago visit the Dunedin city council community housing page (external link)
Canterbury Visit the Christchurch community housing  (external link)
Wellington Visit the Wellington City Council community housing page (external link)
Visit the Te Ahuru Mowai page for Porirua housing support (external link)
Visit the Hutt City Council page (external link)
Wairarapa Visit the South Wairarapa page to see if you qualify (external link)
Manawatū Whanganui Visit Palmerston North City Council social housing (external link)
Hawke's Bay

Visit the Napier council housing site (external link)

Gisborne Visit the Gisborne community housing page if you are 55 plus (external link)
Bay of Plenty Visit the Tauranga Council community housing site (external link)
Waikato Go to Ahikāroa's website, a community housing support service through the Waikato hospital  (external link)
Visit Taupō council website (external link)

Can't spot your Council above? They may have specified their housing is only available for older people or it's been sold to an organisation. The council's listed above have opened their doors to anyone who may classify themself as vulnerable.

There may be some opportunities we haven't found so it's still worth reaching out to your local council to find out if there might be other opportunities. 

What are your rights?

Check out this piece from Community Law. They're a free legal service offering advice on qualifying for social housing and what your rights are. 

Qualifying for social housing - Community Law (external link)

Last updated on Tuesday, 2 April 2024

Was this page helpful?