Skip to main content

ACC, Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People, Work and Income, and Veteran’s Affairs can help some people with travel and accommodation costs to attend medical, specialist or rehabilitation treatments.

Each government agency has guidelines about who can apply for financial help.

If you have injury-related transport needs

ACC helps people with transport needs that are a direct result of an injury.  For example:

  • Transport to treatment or rehabilitation.
  • Travel and accommodation for whanau/family to visit you during rehabilitation.

Talk to your support or service coordinator about your transport options and how to get the help you need.

Find out more about transport support available from ACC on their website (external link)

Help with travel to specialist medical services

The National Travel Assistance Scheme helps people financially who:

  • Are referred by their specialist to see another specialist, and
  • need to travel long distances or travel frequently.

If you meet the Ministry of Health guidelines for travel assistance, you may be able to claim for travel, accommodation and support person costs.

Talk to your specialist, hospital travel coordinator or nominated social worker. They will need to help you register for travel assistance.

Find out more about the National Travel Assistance Scheme on the Ministry of Health website (external link)

Work and Income can help with health and disability related travel

Work and Income may be able to help with health-related travel and accommodation costs.

  • Financial help may depend on how much you or your partner earn.
  • You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for some allowances.

Find out how Work and Income can help with travel costs for a one-off appointment (external link)

Find out how Work and Income can help with travel costs to visit an artificial limb centre (external link)

Find out how Work and Income can help with regular, ongoing travel costs because of a disability (external link)

Veterans’ Affairs can help NZDF members with travel for service-related illness or injury

Veterans’ Affairs New Zealand travel assistance includes:

  • Funding for medical travel (assessment, treatment and rehabilitation).
  • Travel allowance for increased day-to-day travel costs.
  • Travel concessions for funding for personal travel.
  • Transport services or grants, to help restore independence after injury or illness.

Find out more about Veterans' Affairs Travel Allowance (external link)

Find out more about Veterans' Affairs Travel Concession information (external link)

Last updated on Friday, 19 May 2023

Was this page helpful?