Skip to main content

You’ll need a plan

Moving on from secondary school to adult life is one of the major changes in our lives. You need to start planning by the time you’re 14. That will give you, and your family or whānau, a few years to explore different options.

For example, you might want to plan for:

  • going flatting or getting a place of your own
  • managing your money
  • working in paid work or as a volunteer
  • studying at a polytechnic, wānanga or university
  • doing an apprenticeship or work experience
  • getting your drivers licence or using other transport
  • doing sports or hobbies.

Information about preparing to leave school on the Ministry of Education website (external link)

Connect with other young people with disabilities and create a plan for leaving school on the Future Ready website (external link)

If you have an accepted ACC claim

If you have a significant impairment or disability due to injury, ACC may help pay for transition planning support for you. Talk to your school or your ACC contact person for more information.

If you have Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS) funding

If you have ORS funding you can stay at school until the end of the year you turn 21. Your school may refer you to a transition planning service in your final year of school.

If you don’t have ORS funding

If you don’t have ORS funding, contact your local Needs Assessment Service Coordination service (NASC) to ask for a new assessment.

Your NASC can help you work out what you want to do and outline the options available in your community.

Depending on what you need, your NASC can organise for you to get disability support services that are funded by Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People. For example:

  • home and community support services
  • supported living services
  • residential support services

Your NASC might refer you to other government funded services such as:

  • further education providers
  • supported employment services
  • vocational/day activity providers.

Information about disability support services on the Whaikaha website (external link)

Find needs assessment services on the Whaikaha website (external link)

Transition planning providers

Look for transition providers on Firstport. You’ll need to type ‘transition’ in the search box.

Search support services on Firstport

Last updated on Wednesday, 7 June 2023

Was this page helpful?