Learning support is the extra help some children and young people need to take part and achieve in their education.
Your child may need learning support because they have a sensory, physical or learning disability, a health condition or behaviour difficulties.
Government help available
The New Zealand Government website outlines what education funding, support and services are available for children with:
- a physical disability or illness
- behaviour and learning problems
- disabilities and learning support needs to go to mainstream schools.
You’ll find links to the Ministry of Education website for details of each service.
ACC also funds education support for children who find it hard to learn or do activities because of an injury.
Applying for learning support services
If your child needs a specialist assessment or extra support you can:
- ask your early childhood service, school or kura to help you apply
- call the learning support information line on 0800 622 222
- contact your local education office
- contact your ACC support coordinator.
Last updated on Tuesday, 16 August 2022