Work and Income disability allowances and benefits

Disability allowances and benefits from Work and Income

Work and Income (WINZ) provides disability allowances and benefits to children or adults who need extra financial support due to disability. 

Children and adults can get financial support ― and sometimes their carer, spouse, or partner, too.

You could get help with:

  • living expenses
  • rent, board or mortgage payments
  • disability costs such as medicine, GP costs, medical alarms/bracelets.

Find out what help you might get

Here are two places to start.

Option 1: Browse the benefits and payments available

For each benefit or payment listed, you can find out:

  • what the payment is for
  • how often it’s paid
  • who can get it
  • how much you can get
  • how to apply for it.

A-Z Benefits and payments | Work and Income (external website)

Option 2: Check what you might get

Based on your answers, this online tool will figure out what disability allowances, benefits or payments you could get. Then you can apply, if you want to.

Check what you might get - Work and Income (external website)

Tip: Before you start, get this information ready (whatever applies):

  • Your total weekly wage before tax.
  • Your partner’s total weekly wage before tax.

If you own your home, you’ll also need a rough idea of total weekly costs. For example, mortgage, mortgage insurance, house insurance, council rates, ground lease, water rates, and body corporate fees.

How Work and Income works with you

You might find it useful to know more about Work and Income’s services.

Check out these pages, and others, from the link below:

  • Appointments. When you do or don’t need to book one.
  • Case management. How case managers work with you.
  • Contact us. You can also make applications or update details from this page.

About Work and Income - Work and Income (external website)

If you have a hearing or speech impairment

Work and Income has staff who can help you make appointments, update records and communicate with your case manager.

Deaf, hearing impaired and speech impaired clients - Work and Income (external website)

Dealing with Work and Income

The Community Law Manual helps Kiwis help themselves by providing legal information in plain language. Have a look at their guide to Work and Income, which covers these topics:

  • Overview of the benefit system
  • Applying and qualifying for benefits
  • Types of benefits
  • Benefit rates: How much you’ll get, and how much you can earn
  • Trouble with Work and Income: Penalties, investigations and overpayments
  • Challenging Work and Income decisions: Reviews and appeals
  • Coming off a benefit.

Dealing with Work and Income: Community Law (external website)