Getting payments from ACC if you are injured

Last updated on 11 January 2022

Financial support provided by ACC

If you’re injured and can’t work, you may be able to get weekly compensation payments while you recover.

You’ll need to see your doctor.

If your doctor thinks you need time off work, she or he will:

  • send a medical certificate to ACC
  • fill out an ACC claim form for you. That is, if another health professional, e.g. physiotherapist, hasn’t already done this for you. 

ACC will let you know if your application has been accepted.

Visit ACC’s website to find out about:

  • getting paid if you can’t work
  • financial help if you have a permanent injury
  • financial support if someone close to you has died.

Types of financial support | ACC (external website)

How accident compensation works

The Community Law Manual helps Kiwis help themselves by providing legal information in plain language. Check out their guide to ACC, which covers these topics:

  • An overview of the ACC scheme
  • When you’re covered by ACC and when you’re not
  • Costs covered by ACC: Treatment, compensation and other support
  • Making a claim and dealing with ACC
  • Challenging an ACC decision
  • Resources (sensitive claims, complaints and appeals and support organisations).

Accident compensation - Community Law (external website)