Te Hikoi Southern Journey, is the South's ultimate heritage attraction, just 25 minutes from Invercargill on the Southern Scenic Route.
The museum features authentic life size displays, adventurous characters and engaging stories. These reveal how our Māori and European ancestors adapted to survive on nature's edge. An experience not to be missed.
Most visitors spend about 45 minutes in our museum, but some spend half a day! We also have a retail area and information centre for you to plan your next stops.
Te Hikoi is accessible for all disabilities, if you want to discuss your requirements, please contact us.
What does the venue say?
We are on our own journey of trying to make ourselves more accessible and a welcoming place for all.
We have the following:
- Our building and all its public spaces are physically accessible for people in mobility devices.
- We have an on-site wheelchair if you feel you would like to use it.
- We have a wheelchair accessible, non-gender specific toilet.
- Our website text uses a dyslexia friendly font.
- We actively seek books in our retail area which use dyslexia friendly fonts.
- We do not tolerate hate speech, particularly with the LGBGTQIA community.
- We avoid the use of jargon in our written material.
- We have audio guides translated into 9 languages.
We are in the process of:
- Developing an accessibility map for our website, which we hope will help reduce anxiety for visitors.
- Adding alt text to images on our website, so those using read functions online do not miss out.
As resources allow, we would also like to:
- Replace our interpretation panels with more dyslexia friendly fonts.
- Create a recorded audio descriptive guide for people with low vision.
- Replace our seating with chairs that are easier to get in and out of.
- Add captions to our movie and documentaries.
- Add audio loops to our movie and documentaries for people with hearing aids.
If you can assist with any of the above, or have further suggestions we could consider, please get in touch.
- Paid attraction
- Recreation and leisure
- Arts and culture
- Accessible walkways
- Accessible toilets
- Wheelchair access
- Wheelchair hire
There are no reviews yet.