Skip to main content

Video details

Video title: Funding for people with visual impairments

Video duration: 1:10

Page(s) this video appears on: 

Video transcript

(Male presenter)

Blindness or a visual impairment may mean that you need support or equipment to enable you to live more independently.

You may be able to get help for getting around, accessing transport and staying independent and your own home.

Depending on the nature of your blindness or visual impairment either ACC or the Ministry of Health could help fund things like braille equipment, glasses or special appliances.

You'll need to have an assessment see if you're eligible for funding.

For Ministry of Health funding assessments contact Enable New Zealand who can put you in touch with an assessor and your area.

There’s also support available for children.

Kids 15 years and under can get help through the Children's Spectacle Subsidy.

If you're eligible then the subsidy can help with the cost of eye tests, glasses, eye patches and repairs.

Your child's optometrist and ophthalmologist can help you with applying for the subsidy.

Links to other websites I've mentioned can be found on this webpage, so take a look around for more information.

If you need any more help, click on the contact us button at the top of the page.


Last updated on Wednesday, 9 February 2022

Was this page helpful?