You may just have been diagnosed with a health condition that limits your ability to do everyday activities. There is a lot of information available for people with a disability – and for the people who care for them.

We have some ideas about where you can start:

  • Talk to your doctor or practice nurse.
  • Contact a local disability information centre.
  • Find a disability support service or group.

Talk to your doctor or practice nurse

The Ministry of Health says:

If you or a family member needs extra support because of a disability or special needs, your doctor or practice nurse will be able to help you find it.

If your disability is due to an accident

Your doctor or practice nurse can refer you to ACC.

Go to ACC support for people with serious injury & disability (external link)

If your disability is NOT due to an accident or covered by ACC

Your doctor or practice nurse can contact a needs assessment service to find out what extra support is available.

Find out more about needs assessments

Contact a disability information centre

There are 24 disability information centres in New Zealand, from Whangarei to Invercargill.

They provide free disability information and advisory services to their local community. The Ministry of Health funds them.

Anyone can phone or visit a disability information centre. Or you can look up their website.

Find your nearest disability information centre 

Find disability support services

It might be helpful to find services that support people in a similar situation to yours.

For example: Autism NZ, CCS Disability Action, The Cerebral Palsy Society, The Blind Foundation, Carers New Zealand, Parent to Parent.

Some benefits might be:

  • Learning from other peoples’ experiences and sharing ideas.
  • Getting the latest information and research about a disability.
  • Being able to apply for any grants or discounts available to members.

Find disability support services