Early learners with learning support needs

If you’re concerned about your pre-school child’s learning and development or behaviour, you can ask the Ministry of Education for help. If your child finds it hard to learn or do activities because of an injury, ACC may also be able to help.

Early Learning Support

Early intervention means taking action to help a child or their family early on in a problem or situation, as soon as it appears.

The Ministry of Education’s early intervention service team works with very young children (aged birth to 5 years) who need extra help to learn and develop.

The Ministry says their team can assess your child's learning needs and arrange for specialists to help your child. For example:

  • Advisers on deaf children (AODC)
  • Early intervention teachers (EITs)
  • Kaitakawaenga (Māori cultural advisers)
  • Psychologists
  • Speech-language therapists (SLTs).

You can read more about the Early Learning Support service on the Ministry’s website.

Early learning support (external website)

Who to contact

Talk to your Early Childhood Education (ECE) service or Kōhanga Reo. Or contact your local special education office. Ask to speak to someone who works in early intervention.

Contact Learning Support Services (external website)

Incredible Years Parent programme

If your child has behaviour difficulties, you may be able to get help through the Incredible Years Parent programme.

The Ministry of Education website says:

Incredible Years Parent Programme is a 14-session programme for parents of children aged 3 to 8. It provides parents with skills to better manage children with behavioural problems, such as:

  • Aggressiveness, ongoing tantrums
  • Acting out behaviour, such as swearing, whining, yelling, hitting and kicking, answering back, and refusing to follow rules.

Read more about the Incredible Years Parent programme on the TKI website. You can also find a link to a video clip, which focuses on parents who’ve done the programme (look under the heading – Support materials).

Incredible Years Parent programme (external website)

Who to contact

Contact your local special education office for more information.

Contact Learning Support Services (external website)

Education support for child with an injury

ACC states that if your child finds it difficult to learn, or get involved in their usual activities at their school or early childhood service because of their injury, they may be able to help.

Who to contact

Contact your ACC case owner to discuss your child’s needs.

  • ACC may arrange for your child to have an assessment of their injury-related needs at their early childhood service. 
  • Visit ACC’s website for more information.

Support with childcare and education after an injury (external website)

  Search Firstport

Search support services on Firstport for more information and advice on educational needs.

Support services