Financial support for disability equipment

Last updated on 14 December 2021

There are thousands of different pieces of equipment or assistive technology out there that can help people live more independent lives.

You may be eligible for funding towards the cost of some pieces of equipment, or have it loaned to you on a long-term basis. 

If your disability is related to an injury

ACC may provide equipment for people with injury-related disabilities or rehabilitation needs.

Visit ACC’s website to find out:

  • If you're eligible for ACC funded equipment.
  • What equipment ACC may be able to provide.
  • How you can arrange an assessment with an ACC equipment assessor.

Go to ACC getting aids and equipment (external website)

If your disability is not due to an injury

The Ministry of Health provides equipment for people who have a physical, intellectual, sensory (vision or hearing) and/or age-related disability.

To find out if you're eligible for government funded equipment, you'll need to have an assessment with a specialist equipment assessor.

Assessors can be:

  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Speech-language therapists
  • Hearing and vision professionals.

There is a limit to what the MOH can offer so it is important to read about what you could be entitled to and other options that are available to you.

Go to Equipment for disabled people (external website)

Go to Equipment for people who are blind or have reduced vision (external website)

Go to Equipment for people who are Deaf or have hearing loss (external website)

Go to Equipment for children and young people who are Deaf or have hearing loss (external website)

How do I get an assessment?

To get an assessment organised, contact Enable New Zealand who will put you in touch with an assessor in your area.

Contact Enable New Zealand (external website)

Self funding options

If you can't get funding for equipment you need, we have ideas about what else you can do.

Find out more about funding your equipment yourself