Funding if you are deaf or have hearing loss

Last updated on 01 March 2022

Government funding is available for people who are Deaf or have hearing loss to help you communicate and live safely. 

You may be eligible for:

  • Hearing aids.
  • Alerting equipment to help hear the doorbell, alarm clock, telephone, fax, smoke alarms, baby monitor etc.
  • Assistive listening devices, such as personal amplifiers.
  • A cochlear implant. 

If your hearing loss is related to an injury

If you've had an injury that has resulted in deafness or hearing loss, ACC may be able to fund things like hearing aids, equipment or other services.

To find out if you're eligible, visit the ACC website.

Go to What to do if you're injured (external website)

If you have both injury and non-injury related hearing loss

You may be able to get joint funding from the Ministry of Health and ACC.

Contact ACC for more information (external website)

Veterans’ Affairs funding for military service-related hearing loss

If you’re a New Zealand veteran with service-related hearing loss, the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) may be able to help you obtain hearing aids or appliances. Visit the Veterans’ Affairs website to find out who qualifies for help, and the items and services available.

Go to Hearing aids and appliances (external website)

If your hearing loss is not injury related

The Ministry of Health provides hearing aids, equipment and therapy services for people with hearing loss not covered by ACC or Veteran’s Affairs. 

To receive funding you will need to be assessed by either an approved hearing aid assessor or hearing equipment assessor.

If you are eligible for funding, the assessor will make a claim on your behalf.

How do I get an assessment?

Contact Enable New Zealand who can put you in touch with an assessor in your area.

Go to Enable New Zealand Hearing Services (external website)

What range of support is available?

Free hearing therapy for people over 16 years

If you have just acquired a hearing loss, or your hearing is getting worse, you may need some help to adjust.

The Ministry of Health funds hearing therapy (aural rehabilitation) for people aged 16 and over. A hearing therapist assists people to manage their hearing loss in their everyday lives including home, work and social situations.

To find a hearing therapist who provides this service, visit the Hearing Therapists Association of New Zealand website.

Go to Hearing Therapists of New Zealand (external website)

Cochlear implants

Visit the Ministry of Health website to find out who can get government funded cochlear implants and how they are provided.

Go to Cochlear implants (external website)

Funding for children

If your child is deaf or has hearing loss the Ministry of Education may be able to fund equipment that can help your child live safely and communicate with others.

For children with hearing aids, a personal FM system may be useful. This is a device which transmits sound to a child through a receiver attached to a hearing aid and is often used to help hearing impaired children hear the teacher in the classroom.

Funding can be available for school aged and pre-school aged children.

Go to Equipment for children and young people who are Deaf or have hearing loss (external website)

Assistive Technology (AT)

AT is specialised equipment and technology that students with additional needs use in class to increase or improve their ability to participate and learn.

Go to AT funded by the Ministry of Education (external website)

Alerting or assistive hearing equipment

To get funding, you will need to have an assessment with an audiologist, hearing therapist or Deaf Aotearoa Service Coordinator. They must be an approved assessor for the Ministry of Health for hearing equipment (hearing assistive technology).

The assessor may make an application for funding through the Ministry of Health Equipment and Modification Services.

Go to Equipment funding assistance

To find an approved hearing equipment assessor, contact Enable New Zealand.

Contact Enable New Zealand (external website)

What if I am not eligible for government funding?

You may be able to get help through the following:

NFD Hearing Aid Fund (external website)

Workbridge Job Support Fund (external website)

Lottery Individuals with Disabilities Grants (external website)

Help with costs for hearing loss (external website)

Further information

Hearing loss services

Visit the Ministry of Health website to download booklets about services for children and adults with hearing loss.

Go to hearing services (external website)

Search Firstport for hearing services in your area.

Go to Support services