Discounted taxi fares

If you have a disability or impairment that makes it hard for you to use public transport, there are schemes available which can help you access discounted taxi fares. 

Your impairment may be physical, mental or neurological, or it might be to do with your hearing, eyesight or learning ability.

What vouchers are available?

Total Mobility Vouchers

Total Mobility Vouchers give you 50 percent off taxi fares.

How do I apply for Total Mobility Vouchers?

You need to have an assessment with a Total Mobility agency.

  • Total Mobility Agencies check that people are eligible for vouchers.
  • You may have to pay a fee for the assessment or ID card.

Search online for Total Mobility agencies or on your regional council’s website. Or contact any of these places:

  • The Total Mobility coordinator at your regional council.
  • A disability support agency, such as the Stroke Foundation or IDEA Services.
  • A disability information centre.

Find your regional council (external website)

Learn more about the Total Mobility scheme

The Total Mobility Scheme user guide tells you:

  • Where it operates around New Zealand
  • Participating taxi companies
  • Costs - the subsidy and maximum amount per trip
  • Any restrictions
  • Each regional council’s Total Mobility contact details.

Go to Total Mobility Around New Zealand User Guide (external website)

You can use Total Mobility vouchers with standard taxis, mobility taxis and other driving services that belong to the Total Mobility scheme.

Mobility taxis and driving services 

Cerebral Palsy Society getOutThere transport vouchers

If you are a member of the Cerebral Palsy Society of NZ and belong to the Total Mobility scheme, you can apply for the Society’s getOutThere transport vouchers.

You can use these to go towards the part of the fare not covered by Total Mobility taxi vouchers.

How do I apply for Cerebral Palsy Society getOutThere transport vouchers?

Download an application form from the Cerebral Palsy Society of New Zealand website.

The application form says you must be a current financial member of the Society before applying for this programme, as well as having cerebral palsy.

Go to getOutThere - Cerebral Palsy Society of NZ website (external website)

  Search Firstport

Your local disability information centre can help you apply for these vouchers. Find your nearest centre by using the search function below.

Search Firstport for disability information centres